Friday, August 16, 2019

Fighting with My Family (2019)

Fighting with My Family (Stephen Merchant, 2019).




The world of WWE is pretty alien to me. As, indeed, is the word of sport in general. As a movie fan, as opposed to a sports fan, I spend a lot more time sitting on my butt than I do taking part in any physical activity whatsoever. (NOTE: This is not a lifestyle I recommend. After reading my blog go do something active. After reading my blog.) 

Fighting with My Family is the true story of professional wrestler Paige. Following her journey from competing as an amateur in her Norwich hometown to being signed by the WWE and becoming the youngest Divas Champions winner in the competition's history. 

Watching this as a non-wrestling fan I was surprised at how much I genuinely enjoyed this movie. Partly financed by WWE Studios and co-produced by Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, it is not the glossy, sanitised bio-pic that such official sanctioning might suggest. Brit director and writer Stephen Merchant doesn't shy from depicting the sometimes grim world of amateur wrestling or the negative effect Paige's career path has on her family, particularly her brother Zac who was unsuccessful in his WWE audition. Yet Merchant also delivers a movie of great warmth and humour with plenty of laugh out loud moments. Sentimental old fools like me should also watch out for the odd lump in the throat moment.

Standouts among the cast are Florence Pugh as Paige and Jack Lowden as Zac; impressive in both their acting and physical performance, convincing to these novice eyes as wrestlers proper. Nick Frost and Lena Headey are well cast as Paige's parents. Vince Vaughn has his best role in years as Paige's coach. Dwayne Johnson always seems an amiable chap and does here playing himself, rounding out a very appealing cast.

There is little of anything negative I can say about Fighting with My Family. It's not going to change the world, but it is solidly entertaining and wholly likeable. It is inspiring, uplifting, feelgood and any other cliche you wish to throw it at. It might also make you want to take up wrestling.





2 comments: